Life at a United World College in India

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Average Sunday at MUWCI

8:20 Alarm goes and after pressing the snooze button too many times I finally get up
8:45 I run to meet Andrea (Norway) before breakfast and take some of her sunscreen
9:00 Cornflakes, bananas, rice. Always rice.
9:30 I put on my running shoes and meet up with my Himalayan expedition group and coordinator Arvin for an intense training session.
11:00 A cold shower to wash away the mud, grass, and sweat
12:30 I head to the cafeteria for brunch with Nizar (Morocco) where I eat masala dosas, scrambled eggs, pork stew and chapati with sugar until my stomach hurts.
1:00 I go back to my room to grab something
1:20 I have another masala dosa as brunch is brunch
1:45 I go to S.P.A.C.E to practice some violin, the first time since coming here. The sound of scales on the french horn played by Carole (Luxembourg) coming from the other room reminds me of home.
2:45 Yoga class
4:00 I nap, something you can't live without here
5:00 I walk to the tree house to do some homework and find some peace
6:00 Tea time with everyone who stumbles into my courtyard. It was cozy
7:00 Dinner!
8:00 Held a swing dancing lesson for Carissa (Jamaica), Nitay (Israel/Guatemala), Lam (Finland/Vietnam), Daan (Netherlands), Numaya (Bangladesh) and Toan (Vietnam). My roommate Safieh (Bangladesh) showed up later and so did Sam and Charlotte from the States.
9:30 Check-in. Meet up with Andrea and Jamie (Netherlands) and head to the Dukaan for some eggs only to find the Dukaan is closed.
10:00 Intend on walking back to my room but caught up talking to people in the common room and sitting outside in the warm air.
11:00 homeworkhomeworkhomework
11:30 Skype with friends back home
12:00 Sleep

Though life here moves at break neck speed, I am starting to feel at peace here; with the endless dal, chapati and rice; the mountains in the distance as you walk back to your wada from classes; the monsoon that can last for 10 seconds or 2 hours; that feeling of security as you walk back into your corner and realize when you say you're going 'home', you mean this tiny, cramped place.

Tiny, cramped places can hold a lot of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment