Life at a United World College in India

Thursday, April 4, 2013

8 years ago ...


... I visited a school called Pearson College and heard about the United World Colleges for the first time. I didn't know at the time that I would spend months obsessing over an email that may or may not tell me whether I was a step closer to calling a place like that home, but I fell in love all the same. That dream that I had folded into my heart as a recently-immigrated girl is now closer than ever. I don't know how to explain this feeling of complete alignment. It lifts my spirit, the corners of my mouth, and my hair because I am literally jumping for joy. To get the chance to live with around 200 students from over 70 countries is incredible and I cannot express how grateful I am for the opportunity. 

United World Colleges are located in 12 countries around the world (Canada, Hong Kong, Singapore, India, The Netherlands, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Wales, Norway, Italy, The United States, Costa Rica, and Swaziland) and have educated students from over 180 countries. Their mission is to help new generations overcome prejudice and to promote multi-cultural understanding through breaking down stereotypes and having students from different corners of the world live together for 2 years. In this way, their aim is to work towards a more peaceful and sustainable future. The movement celebrated its 50th birthday this year (while it was Mahindra's 15th!).

While at the school, I will be following the 2 year IB diploma in English as well as doing CAS activities (Creative, Action, Service). At Mahindra College CAS activities are called Triveni, and I will have many to choose from; from fire service to paper making to teaching local Indian children English every week. Through project weeks and exeats (extra long weekends where students are allowed to sleep off-campus) I will also have plenty of opportunities to explore the country I will be living in. UWC schools give a lot of responsibility and independence to their students, encouraging them to take initiative and take charge of many of the school's activities. 

Needless to say, the four months leading up to my departure will seem like forever. I have so much packing to do though, people to see, and random Canadian things to do before I leave this place for 9 months that I will have plenty of things to keep me busy. For now, I'll just focus on my studies which are slowly creeping into my conscience as I type this and appreciate the crisp, cold weather of Victoria. I know I'm going to miss wearing scarves, big sweaters, and having a pale face and a red nose on chilly nights at the beach.



A picture overlooking the campus and the valley beyond at sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment