Life at a United World College in India

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Nederland

I'm finally at my home away from home.

When I boarded that first plane this morning, a lot shifted. As the plane sped up and the little cars and mountains and shores of my island got left behind and we flew over Active Pass as the the sun was rising and I realized what a beautiful place I was leaving (once again), I also realized what a beautiful place I'm heading towards.

I felt sad as I saw this past chapter of my life framed by rectangular glass and I tried to tell myself it's ok. That it's ok because my dream is coming true, but I was sad because the place I was leaving was once my dream too, and

The memories of then and now will be separated by different frames, mediated by that little rectangle. Different walls and a different roof and although I'd been counting down to yesterday since a day undetermined that felt so determined back then, there was no way to prepare.

But I have never been more at peace with a decision. As I sit here in my Oma and Opa's house, eyes burning with jet lag and stomach upset with the airplane food, I couldn't be happier. India, I can't wait to meet you.

Oma and Opa's street
'Never thought'
My sister, me and my cousin 
Dunes, beach, ocean <3



No comments:

Post a Comment